This blog is for our HCI project, which is mainly about designing a new and innovative product.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

HCI at PC World

Richard and I managed to spend about half an hour at PC world today, just browsing stuff. We came across a few interesting products which I'll blog about from a HCI perspective.

Firstly I'll discuss screens. Many people have LCD display screens, especially for laptops and they're pretty cool. Recently I've been noticing a lot more laptops with the plastic finish on the display screen. Now this is very aesthetically pleasing and looks very cool, however as I was discussing with Richard, I personally found them rather impractical. There are two reasons for why I think they are impractical:

1) You can see your reflection in them and that would annoy me a lot whilst I was working.
2) On a sunny day, the reflection of the sun on the screen would be pretty annoying too.

However, I must admit, the quality of the display looks absolutely amazing.

The next product is the amazingly tiny laptop(not sure if laptop is the right word for it) we saw. I personally am really fond of small, sleek and compact products and this was just that. I found it really impressive that such a small product could be used like a regular laptop, although it was aesthetically pleasing and very convenient portability wise, it has drawbacks too. The main drawback was that due to it's size, everything was very very small. I found that although the web pages and text in general were readable, they would become rather annoying very quickly. It's not the type of product, as a computer scientist, I feel that I could perform tasks like programming or dissertation writing on.
(Unfortunately I can't seem to find the image to show you the product).

Finally, mp3 players. The one that struck me as very impressive was the mp3 cube (shown below) :
I found it very cool that such a minature product could have quite a huge storage space. The one on display was 512 MB, but I think they go up to 1GB. I would contemplate purchasing this product, however I don't like the fact that it's a cube. I feel a cube is a rather bulky product that would stick out quite a lot in my pocket. If the size stayed the same and it was reduced by half in depth, then I would definately purchase it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Trimm said...

there is another impraticality of those pure visibility screens, dirt! finger marks and dust will show up on them and keeping that lovely polished surface shining will be hard work

as for the laptop, typically anything smaller than 12 inch screen is referred to as a lifebook (not a laptop, not a pda). Personally I think they are a waste of space, for the same reasons that you pointed out and for one more...the only operating system I have ever seen scale to monitors smaller than 15 inch in this day and age (i.e out of 2k/xp/...) is MacOSX. I've tinkered with linux gui and windows on small screens and it just cant get down that small as you said. There is also another kinda reason I hate them, its in the name, they're not really meant to be anything more than a portable storage device you can dock places, you're not meant to 'work' off them. The idea behind them it to either work (mostly) off another PC and send your stuff to them (to take it elsewhere) or use them in a dock. The actual device is meant for use only when you absolutely need to or for stuff like when you're running though your presentation with it linked to a projector or watching a movie. So you are basically spending over a thousand pounds for a hard drive

11:06 PM

 
Blogger Femma Ashraf said...

I totally forgot about fingerprints. That was another thing that really annoyed me.

11:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home