This blog is for our HCI project, which is mainly about designing a new and innovative product.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Red indicator lights.

I was driving along merrily to university yesterday afternoon (in my Nissan Micra with amber indicator lights) and in front of me was a blue Honda Civic Sport. The person driving was about to turn right and the first thing I noticed RED INDICATOR LIGHTS!!! The first thing that popped into my head was "that's very bad HCI" hence why I'm blogging about it.

Now I've been told they are pretty common in USA, however I've not been to the USA so I usually assosicate red with brake lights, so when this thing started flashing it took me a good second or 2 to realise it was indicator lights.

Personally I think that having red indicator lights are pretty hazardous, as someone especially in the UK could easily have identified them as malfunctioning break lights, hit the break and WHAM! we have ourselves a little accident.

I just don't get why they don't use amber indicator lights, they seem to make sense to me. Red indicator lights might be the norm in the US, but I just found them weird.

3 Comments:

Blogger Femma Ashraf said...

Excellent :D

9:40 PM

 
Blogger Daniel Trimm said...

yeah, its illegal in this country, unless it was q plated as i think they allow q plated vehicles to have their standard indicators for america (i've seen that happen a number of times over here, back home this couple own and drive around in a 1970's california state patrol car, complete with flashing lights and sirens (disabled of course!) which is allowed because its q plated as an exibitional car, think they're only allowed a max annual travel distance of 8000 miles

also, it could have been american registered, i've seen a few people from america who come over here for a little bring their cars over

10:56 PM

 
Blogger Daniel Trimm said...

also, forgot to add that i believe america has changed the law regarding this since 2002, not sure though, funny thing is the lights are the front and side of the cars are amber!

10:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home