This blog is for our HCI project, which is mainly about designing a new and innovative product.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Android Date

I've been thinking about the android gf idea some more (I know I'm sad and I should have better things to do on a Saturday night, but I feel it should be blogged).

Ok, what gave me the idea was an episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch that I watched in my teeny bop days (a long time ago ;)). Basically Harvey (the guy Sabrina wants to go to the dance with) agrees to go with Libby so she doesn't have a date. She decides to stay at home, so her aunts decide to make her a date out of 'man dough' and add flavourings for his personality. It was such a cool episode, so I thought why not incorporate it in our very own department.

Think about it, the male:female ratio is something like 10:1, maybe higher. Now if we decide to have a computer science ball, the guys will sure as hell will have a difficult time finding a female computer scientist to go with. I'm sure the girls wouldn't want 10 dates for the night, right?

So why not create an android as a date? I know it's a pretty far fetched idea (at present) and a rather expensive one to incorporate but it would be really cool. If we wanted to be really cheap, I'm sure Jeremy wouldn't mind us using lego and the handy boards (although the android would be very very very limited in what it could do ;))

What features would this female bot have then? Well she would have the basic features of how to be the perfect date for a ball. She'll be able to dance, will be a good listener, able to have excellent conversations (of course the guy would have to make her aware of his interests) and if the guy gets bored he can always turn her off.

How awesome would that be for the guys? Also her personality can be changed by downloading new software into her.

This idea wouldn't just be restricted to the CS dept. We could create male androids for department where the female ratio is higher than the male ratio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home